Hear a video presentation that outlines the content of this new online course Ten steps to proficient professional & academic speaking
The course has ten sections that you can undertake in any order although it is best to start at the beginning. These are:
- Understand why you need to research your audience, the venue and fully understand the occasion and how to do this.
- Prepare your talk early and plan any travel well in advance
- Before you start preparing the details of your talk decide how you will ‘set the scene’ to excite and energize your audience at the very beginning of your presentation.
- Reflect on your personal story of why you undertook this work and decide how you can best tell your story to create empathy in your audience.
- To keep your audience interested, you need to take them on a journey of discovery. How can you best organize your talk to achieve this?
- Don’t say too much – how can you modify your talk and add fun to maximize its effectiveness?
- Make great visuals that are uncluttered, clearly legible and visually appealing. Don’t ignore copyright laws.
- Where appropriate include videos and sound clips but beware of the possible ‘traps’ when you do this.
- You will need to speak out, stand straight and look the audience in the eye! Discover how you can learn to overcome your nerves and do this even if you are very shy.
- Learn how to answer questions well and receive advice on how to deal with difficult questions.
If you become a member, you will be able to receive personal feedback on your work.